ABOUT ST LEONARD’S, WORTLEY CHURCH

St Leonard’s, Wortley Church is located in the parish of Wortley
and forms part of the United Benefice of Tankersley,
Thurgoland and Wortley within the Diocese of Sheffield.

An overview of St Leonard’s, Wortley Church

Morning services take place at 11am on the first and third Sunday of each month, at 6.30pm on the second Sunday and, on the fourth Sunday, at 11am in the winter or at 6:30pm in the Summer. When there is a fifth Sunday in a month a United Benefice Service is held in one of the three Churches on a rotating basis. On the second Sunday we have the 1662 Service which Is a traditional form of worship reaching back to 1662! It is from the book of common prayer. The words have been updated in 1922, but still remains essentially the same authorised for use in church by King Charles 11.

Historically there is evidence that there has been a church in Wortley, dedicated to St Leonard, since at least 1268 and probably even earlier though little if anything exists of that building and many records have been lost. However, an examination of the church as it is today indicates that much of the building dates from the 18th century. The Tower contains a peal of eight bells and a clock both dating from 1893 as does the pulpit. The church houses many important artefacts and memorials, mainly relating to its long connection with the Wharncliffe Estate.

© wortleychurch.org.uk - All rights reserved.